Dog Training Leads
…are our top selling product and for good reason. In this blog I will talk you through the dog training leads uses, in which situations you might want to use them, how to chose which custon elements you might need and why and what to expect from any one of our products, not just the dog training lead.
What are the unique qualities of one of Meg Heath’s Dog Training Leads and why should you buy one of our dog leads over a cheaper [other large retailer] dog tracking lead?
- 11 Years experience making dog leads
- I use a Yamata Industrial sewing machine (not a household machine)
- …which means i can use very strong industrial thread
- …which means i can sew with precision
- The joints are what i call Z stitched which is similar to a box stitch
- The stitch is exactly the same as a machine that will make 100’s of leads per minute
- Your dog lead is made by a human that has an intimate knowledge of your order, rather than in an factory
- You can chose from 18 different colours (not all will be in stock, but we can usually get them in 2 days)
- You have the choice of 3 widths
- You have a choice of small and standard trigger hooks made from brass plate, nickel or solid brass (this is why some of the dog leads with solid brass fittings work out expensive, for example the Police Dog Style Dog Lead which has 2 solid brass trigger hooks and 3 solid brass harness rings – not inferior welded rings)
- We based in Lincolnshire UK – we do not buy from abroad
- …but above all, do you know why you should be proud to support Meg Heath Dog Leads? Because since setting up in 2006, you have helped me be a stay at home doggy mum. Self sufficient along with my boarding kennels looking after my rescue dogs. In 2006 when I stopped LESSR (Springer Spaniel Rescue), I had 26 dogs, all that needed vaccinating, feeding and vets bills which was not easy as a single mum (mum to the dogs not kids). Im currently dog-mom to 10 dogs; 5 acquired in the last 14 months.
Custom elements / variables or options are the names given to the custom choices you add to a dog training lead when you ‘make’ your lead during the order process.
They include length, colour, width, fittings, handle to include the padded handle and the double up. I will explain why you might want to choose from any or none of these custom elements.
- Length – Unique to you and your dog. We make dog training leads from 5 to 50 metres (actually 49.5 metres). The shorter leads 5-20 metres are ideal for recall training (teaching / training your dog to come back when called). You can read my recall notes to help you with this. Make sure you can hold your dog if it wizzes t the end of the lead!
- All lengths can help when your dog is not allowed off the lead for what ever reason (see safety notes below). Never use any head collar with a long line, harnesses are better). The longer leads are best used in large areas where there is no risk of tangling around other things including other dogs and your legs!
- Colour – personal choice, red gets grubby quickly and obviously the darker colours stay nicer for longer.
- Width – no strength benefits buying 25mm but owners of larger dogs prefer the wider choice but be aware that the with 25mm, when you choose a longer lead it will be more bulky.
- Fittings – brass will last longer and will stand up to abuse especially getting wet / damp as they will not sieze up.
- Handles – most people choose the handle option but the no handle option is sometimes preferred. Be aware that when you choose the double up option, whether it be with a handle or padded handle, the handle will be at the dogs head end when the double option is being used.
- Double up – our unique double up element means that you will be able to work your chosen length at half length too. (See handle notes above). At the trigger hook end, an extra O ring is sewn in plus an O ring on the handle means that when you feed the webbing throught the O ring at the trigger hook end and it comes to a stop at the O ring on the handle it means you can use your lead at half length, the handle that would have been at the end of the lead is now at the ‘dog end’.
USES FOR THE DOG TRAINING OR ‘TRACKING’ LEAD
As stated in points 1 & 2 above, uses for the dog training lead are varied but essentially the lead gives you peace of mind and a bit of extra freedom for your dog.
- Training the recall also known as ‘coming when called’, most popular use for this dog training lead
- Beach exercise
- Open spaces where there are no distractions
- May help with socialisation training
- Allowing extra freedom with aggressive dogs (always remember to use your muzzle too if necessary)
- Rescue dogs where recall is none existent, unreliable or unknown
- New owners who have learnt the hard way or have no / limited knowledge of training dogs
FITTINGS – and why one (or more than one) option might help you
- Brass fittings – ideal if you abuse your lead, hang it outdoors or use it in the wet. Will never rust or sieze up
- Nickel fittings – ideal if you are able to take more care of your lead and keep it dry / cheaper option
- Small trigger hooks – ideal for smaller dogs as they are lighter around the dogs neck and they will not kick it when they walk or run.
- Double up, ideal at any length but obviously the longer the lead the more skill you need for lead management
- Handle – the no handle option might help if you let the lead trail around, especially for the house line as the handle will not get stuck under doors for example, the handle option is obvious, it means you can hold the end easier
- Widths – wider not necessarily stronger but a choice for owners of larger breeds
- Padded handle – ideal for comfort but will obviously get wet so would need drying out when it does
Use of our dog training leads are obviously the responsability of the user, but please read some of our suggestions below to help with risk mitigation.
- Never ever use with any type of head collar
- Best used with harnesses that are properly fitted
- Do not leave to trail on a dog with no or unreliable recall because if they run off, they only have to go around an object once and they are stuck. Does not bear thinking about
- Dont let the lead run through your hand, it will burn
- Check trigger hooks each time you use them, it is not unknown for trigger hooks to fail
- Be aware of tangle risks when dogs are playing together
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM OUR DOG TRAINING LEADS
- Life time stitching guarantee
- A well made functional dog training lead
- Made with love not in a factory
- Second to none customer service
- You can speak to a real person in the UK to make order enquiries
You can call me on 01522 810150 for any questions about any of our leads.